The student news site of Lane Tech College Prep

The Lane Tech Champion

The Lane Tech Champion

The Lane Tech Champion

Boys’ Cross Country first 3A team to qualify for State in nine years

Lucas Beltran, Div.277, runs in Sectionals helping the team qualify for State.

By Vanessa Pena

The points were tied and the winner was unknown. It was all down to the next point made by either Maine South or Lane. Of the 20 teams that compete in Sectionals, only five move on to State.

With a tie breaker needed, captain Lucas Beltran, Div. 277, and his team members ran hard for the finish line.

“Between Lane and our competition, Maine South, we knew we had to step up our game. Myself and another team member passed Maine South runners that brought us to victory,” Beltran said.

The Cross Country team had earlier won City, which led them to Regionals and then the big hurdle: Sectionals. The next step: State.

After race officials reviewed and revised the final score at Sectionals, Lane was announced the winner by a single point.

The boys left school on Friday Nov. 4 to prepare for their race at State the next day. Lane’s top seven runners were selected by Coach Roof to run for the team.

The boys were already familiar with the course since they had run at a meet held there earlier in the season. They also knew the opposition would be tougher.

“I already knew what a competitive field we were going to overcome,” said captain Danny Zimny-Schmitt, Div. 259.

It is a long season for the team as training started in July and the season ended in November. However, Mansur Soeleman, Div. 371 is grateful for the workouts and preparation.

“Coach Tony’s workouts are really hard and difficult. The fact that they were very hard put us in shape for state. I feel like we really stepped it up compared to last year,” he said.

“It was the effort and training that brought us here,” Zimny-Schmitt said. “It was a full team effort. Everyone was just so happy to have made it so far, but we still had to give it our all.”

The day of the state competition, many supporters came to cheer on Lane.

“Everyone was so supportive and our manager, Johnny Mak, did an awesome job in supporting us,” said Captain David Timlan, Div. 275.

Though Lane did not place at State, team members appreciated the opportunity.

“It was a good experience because it was new. It was the first time in nine years for a 3A team to make it down to State,” Timlan said.

Saving his best run ever for the state competition, Soeleman ran the three miles in a personal best 16 minutes and 8 seconds.

With many of the seniors leaving next year, remaining team members know they will have a tough challenge next year.

“When seniors leave, myself and other team members will have to step it up,” Soleman said.

Timlan knows it will be difficult for next year’s team to repeat the success of this year.

“I wouldn’t put them down, but it’ll be harder. My advice is to run hard, and do what the coaches tell them to do,” he said.

Still, before thinking too much of next year, team members are enjoying the success of this season.

“We were just so happy we made it so far,” Beltran said. “Getting to state was like a hurdle we couldn’t get over. Everything just came together while nobody believed in us.”

Donate to The Lane Tech Champion
$0
$0
Contributed
Our Goal

Thank you!! We met our goal for the 2023-24 school year! Your contributions covered our annual website hosting costs, which are no longer covered by our district/school. Student journalists at Lane Tech use this archive to research past coverage of various topics and link to past stories to offer readers additional context for current stories. Thank you for supporting the award-winning reporting and writing of journalism students at Lane Tech College Prep!

Background information on why the school district no longer allows our school to cover web hosting costs:
https://lanetechchampion.org/12583/uncategorized/special-coverage-impact-of-soppa-on-cps-students-teachers/
https://lanetechchampion.org/11702/opinion/staff-editorial-cpss-soppa-policy-is-choking-students-learning-and-the-champion/