8 tips for surviving your first week of freshman year

By Andjela Bursac, Bianca Sanchez, and Cori Meyers

Welcome to your first week at Lane! You’re probably nervous and full of questions, but here are the need-to-know tips to surviving your first week of freshman year. Good luck class of 2018!

1. Don’t make complete U-turns in the halls. If lost, don’t turn into the opposite lane of hall traffic, unless you desire to run into fellow Laneites. Instead, opt for walking into the nearest bathroom or getting a drink from a near by water fountain. Or just stop and stare at a flyer. At least you’ll have learned something new.

2. Avoid staircases H, Z and O. Staircases are incredibly packed, especially staircases H, Z and O during lunch periods. If one of your classes is near an obscure staircase like J, B, C or N, walk up these stairs instead. They are less congested and consequently get you to your class faster. Comfortable and fast, these staircases are the fast food chains of Lane. So, have it your way (Burger King) and use these staircases.

3. Follow the dress code. The P.E. uniform is not the best look. In case you have yet to be informed, when students violate the dress code they are punished with not only a demerit but also the chance to grace the Lane halls in myrtle elastic band shorts or a gold cotton and polyester blend T-shirt provided by the discipline office. It should also be made known that freshmen should avoid voluntarily roaming the halls in gym uniform. So rock your own style, as long as it is in line with Lane’s rules.

4. Just like life, high school has people who like to watch you fail and people who will help you on your way. The upperclassmen are not excluded. There will be some who will help you to your next class and some who will lead you astray. There will be some who will yell at you for screaming your year on spirit day and others who will cheer you on. It’s important to know that a few years ago these students were where you are now; and in a few years you will be where they are. Don’t let the upperclassman jokes get to you. They know that you are nervous and new, so be wary. Oh and don’t buy elevator passes please.

5. The Quick Start paperwork reads “SERIOUS WORK STARTS IMMEDIATELY” and it isn’t lying. In most elementary schools you have a week or so to settle into classes before you start the actual work. At Lane you walk in the second day of school prepared to start actual classwork. Don’t bring all your books on the first day but be prepared to take notes. You will most likely get homework starting the second day of school.

6. Don’t underestimate the importance of your summer assignments. Teachers tend to be easy on freshmen the first few weeks, but you can’t get away with avoiding the summer reading. Chances are your first semester English grade will be greatly impacted by your summer reading. So make sure you turn it in the first week of school. Need to know exactly what’s expected? Here’s a link to the assignment.

7. Make your first impression count, whether it’s teachers, classmates, or upperclassmen. Introduce yourself and make friends. Don’t think twice about it — everyone is as nervous as you. It’s hard to be confident your first day in a new environment, but the first week of freshman year will impact the rest of your time at Lane. Make it count.

8. Division is your high school homeroom. You’ll see them frequently for the next four years. And spend hours together during assemblies. All in all, be nice. Some of your closest friends might come from division. And you’ll never have to worry about having a class together because you’ll always have division.