Everything you need to know about Homecoming 2014

By Kendall Hill

Sweaty classrooms, freshman traffic build-ups on stairwells, and new faces from first through eighth period.

It is good to be back.

With every school year, there are changes that directly and indirectly affect students. This year is no exception — Lane now has new locks, a 10-minute grace period for demerits, and this year changes to homecoming.

Lane’s Student Council has been in charge of homecoming for years and this year they have decided to make some changes to the popular school dance. Below are the must-knows before going into spirit week, according to Student Council President Odalys Enriquez, Div. 572.

Prices of tickets increase from $10 to $20

The cost per ticket has doubled this year in response to last year’s complaints about there not being enough decoration for the fall dance.

Pre-order tickets online

With the huge success of prom tickets being sold online and dangerous crowds for homecoming tickets last year, the ticket-buying process for the dance has been made digital. Expect the tickets to be available the week of homecoming, Sept. 22 to Sept. 26.

No dates can be from outside of Lane Tech

The biggest change to the dance is that it will no longer host students outside of Lane.

“It’s not fair that a kid from Whitney gets to go to our homecoming, but a kid from Lane does not get to go because of a lack of tickets,” Enriquez said.

Due to this, Student Council decided to make the dance Lane students only.

Spirit Day themes will be decided by a vote

In an effort to get everyone involved, there will now be a vote held in which students can choose the four spirit days that they want to dress up for (with Friday being left for Lane Spirit day).

The choices for the days are as follows:

• Backwards Day
  • Sports Day
  • Disney Day
  • Twin Day
  • Career Day
  • Nerd Day
  • Dress-up Day
  • Hawaiian Day
  • Flannel Day
  • Retro/Neon Day

An email has been sent to your CPS Gmail account in which you can vote for the days that you would like to see.

Homecoming week is Sept. 22 through Sept. 26 and the game will be held in Lane Stadium against CVCA at 7:15 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 26. You can find tickets for the homecoming game in the main office during spirit week. The dance will be held in the Lane gym on Sept. 27.