Surviving the challenge of Lane’s Alpha program

By Sandra Campos

With each passing year, the size of the Alpha class begins to get smaller and smaller; students sometimes drop the program to pursue their own interests or they are removed because they no longer meet program requirements. In 2012, about 135 freshmen were accepted into the Alpha program. As of now about 50 juniors are left. The statistics for the Class of 2015’s freshman year are unknown, but this year there are 70 seniors. The students who choose to stay are remaining in the program due to their passion for science and academic interests.

Since 2004, students at Lane have participated in Alpha, an intensive program that prepares students for future endeavors in science, technology, engineering and math. Students in the program participate in Science Fair for the first two years, and during their upperclassmen years, they mentor underclassmen and take science-based classes such as Robotics, Web Design, Aquaponics and AP Chemistry.     

Bhavin Gandhi, Div. 659, stayed in Alpha because of his determination and passion for science, which motivates him to continue.

“I think that scientists need to struggle in order to thrive,” Gandhi said. “Alpha is a program which always comes with its challenges, but it pushes us to do our best. It gives you experience working in the scientific processes, which you need if you want to pursue a science-based career.”

In Alpha, all the students have the same classes due to the similarity in mandated math and science classes.

“I felt a kind of acceptance in Alpha that I never felt in grammar school or even in my other Lane classes,” Gandhi said.

Alpha feels like family to Derryn Gallegos, Div. 659.

“You can’t pick who you’re stuck with but you have to live with it,” Gallegos said. “You get pretty close to the people who are in Alpha since you have the same classes with them most of the time.”

“It’s difficult at times because a lot of people like to show how smart they are and it can be intimidating,” Gallegos said. “But the fact that I’ve hung on makes me feel good about myself.  I feel like I worked towards something and got it accomplished.”

Staying in Alpha gives Shivani Patel, Div. 670, opportunities to go on field trips and college tours that the rest of the junior class is not given. In early September, the Alpha class went on a college tour in Boston to look at universities such as Harvard and MIT.   

Christian Badillo, Div. 588, said that as difficult as the program can get, it’s worth it in the end.

“During an interview I had with Stanford University, they brought up my involvement in Alpha, so colleges do take that into incredible consideration,” Badillo said. “I was never really motivated to quit Alpha, so I stayed.”

Last year, Mrs. Anderson, the Alpha Coordinator, along with rest of the Alpha teachers, decided to try and be more selective with the incoming freshman. Only 46 students were accepted into Alpha.

“We wanted to see if more people would stay with a smaller class size,” Mrs. Anderson said. “It worked pretty well, because 33 are still in the program. It’s a good retention rate.”

According to Anderson, the reason why the class size gradually gets smaller is due to their grades.

“In order to  continue being in Alpha, a student must have A’s or B’s in their English, science and math class each year,” Anderson said. “If they don’t, they are removed from the program. We make exceptions occasionally, if the student shows dedication and a passion for wanting to stay in the program even if they have a C in one of their important classes.”

Mrs. Anderson said that there is, however, a small percent of students who drop out to pursue their own interests.

Nick Georgas, Div. 659, dropped the Alpha program because he felt it hindered the opportunities that Lane offered.

“I do not regret leaving it in the slightest,” Georgas said. “Lane’s student body and diversity among its students was a huge benefit in my eyes and I couldn’t experience that in Alpha.”

In order to continue being an art major, Autumn Bland, Div. 656, had to drop from the program.

“Alpha was restricting on certain classes and courses you could take,” Bland said. “I’ve been an art major since freshman year, and I wouldn’t be able to take the required art classes if I stayed in Alpha. It’s a good program, but it’s just simply not for me.”