Four-year athletes celebrate emotional senior nights

By Cassidy Mullins

The last home game is emotional for any player but for senior athletes it really is the end. There is a senior night for each sport held at the last home game to celebrate those who will not be here next year and their dedication to the team during their last season.

“As a freshman you never think it’s actually going to be you and then it hits you. It’s surreal being under your home lights for the last time.”Sean Psenka said, Div. 562, “It’s like what you see in movies.”

Sean has been on Lane’s football team for four years and on October 17 he played his last game on his home turf.

Emily Schoenbeck, Div. 584, is a cheerleader and has been on the team for two years. The cheerleaders actually get two senior nights, for football in the fall and basketball in the winter. For the football senior night the cheerleaders made posters for the seniors on the team and decorated their lockers.

“I made Sean Psenka the best senior night poster ever” says Schoenbeck.

A lot of effort goes into senior nights from a whole season of practice to all the decorations and posters made by younger members of the teams or friends. Many teams also get shirts made for the seniors to wear for their senior night.

Senior nights for four year athletes are particularly emotional. These are the players who stuck with their team from freshman year all the way to the end for this senior night. Being on a team for that many years creates a bond between the player and their team as well as their coaches. Senior nights for these athletes represents the end of a very consistent part of their lives. Every year classes and teachers will change but the team stays constant.

Elise Volkl is a senior on the volleyball team and has been a part of the team for four years and has moved up from JV to Varsity during this time.

“Senior night was amazing,” said Volkl, “The crowd went crazy for every single point and we came out with a huge win for our last home game. I couldn’t have asked for a better way to end the season.”

Volkl mentioned Anna Gurolnick when talking about the gifts they got. Gurolnick made her a poster and wrote a speech which she gave at senior night. In addition to this personal gift she also mentioned the decorations in the gym put up by the team and the support from her friends and coaches.

“They went above and beyond to make this year better than the last. I’m so thankful for everyone who came out to support the team.” said Volkl.

For athletes like Volkl and Psenka who were both on their respective teams for all four years of high school, playing their last home game brought them full circle from their first game as freshmen. They played on the same field and in the same gym for the entirety of high school. Senior nights are a celebration of this accomplishment and of their dedication to their sport and their teams.