Winter Musical: ‘Footloose’

By Anna Lagattuta

The Lane drama department has been gearing up for a series of performances of their annual winter musical. This year the musical is “Footloose”, and debuted this Wednesday. It is scheduled to run through Saturday, Feb 14. Students involved in the production auditioned in early November, and have been rehearsing over 15 hours a week since then.

Performers are eagerly anticipating the release.

“My favorite part of putting this together has been the teaching aspect of it. I’m a senior and the seniors’ job entails showing the newer theater kids the ropes, which is super exciting,” Autumn Egger, Div. 590, said.

One of these younger kids is Esmeralda Ayvar-Perez, a sophomore in Div. 761, who is Egger’s double. This is Ayvar-Perez’s first year being a part of the spring musical.

“[Egger] always helps me by giving me keys of songs, and reviewing dances with me anytime I need it,” Ayvar-Perez said.

Egger’s leadership and support has been paying off.

“It’s been really fun! I love performing. To have the chance to be with such a talented group of people is just a great experience,” Ayvar-Perez said.

Egger, as well as several other students including Fernando Borges and Veronica Vickas, has been a part of the theater department since her freshman year. This will be the final performance that she is involved in here at Lane. Egger hopes to leave a lasting impression on the younger kids coming in, who are just getting started.

“I know they’ll remember me for the rest of their high school career. I still remember my senior mentors from freshman year and I think that’s really cool,” Egger said.

Some of the underclassmen take rehearsal very seriously, while others just do it for fun. Vickas, Div. 581, describes the key of the relationship as finding the “fine line” between being a role model for the underclassmen, and a friend.

“The role model part is important. If the seniors set a bad example, [the underclassmen] will follow it. Being a friend is the fun part though. It is hard to switch from being a friend to being the example,” Vickas said.

Vickas views her departure from the Lane drama program as bittersweet.

“I am a little scared to start working with other people. The seniors are at the point where everyone is in synch; it is very easy, and comfortable to act with them. It will be very different going into college, and having to start all over again,” Vickas said.

The theater department has put on both a fall play and a winter musical for decades, and these productions involve the collaboration of actors, dancers, singers, and directors. Although the two shows usually involve a similar group of students, with regular newcomers, they are very different types of productions.

“I have been in the fall play and spring play festival before. The musical is different in that time is more crunched because we’re not just acting and learning lines, we have to learn choreography and music too. It’s a crazy schedule,” Egger said.

Although the theater students have grown accustomed to this hectic rehearsal schedule, it is coming to a close as they hit the stage for the real show. They encourage everyone to go for one of the days.

“If you’ve ever seen the movie or heard about it, you’ll know what a great production [Footloose] is, and how fun it is. We’ve worked really hard…and we would really love to see many faces out there supporting!” Ayvar-Perez said.

Tickets will be on sale outside of the auditorium on Feb. 11th, 12th, 13th, or 14th!