Administration eliminates early dismissal schedule

By Vivian Tran

unnamed
Lane’s 2014-15 early dismissal schedule ended school nearly 40 minutes earlier on Wednesdays.

Over the past year, Lane has implemented several changes to the school itself and its system. Ranging from the painted staircases to Ms. Anderson becoming principal, Lane has transformed to accommodate the wants and needs of students. One of the more recent alterations is the new division schedule.

Every year teachers and administration are asked to vote on a new schedule for the next academic year. The schedule at Lane has been routine; a normal schedule every day and a division schedule with an early dismissal on Wednesday. This year, according to Ms. Hanly, one of Lane’s assistant principals, administration decided to eliminate weekly division, only having it once each month.

To the discontent of many students and teachers, the prime alteration to the schedule was getting rid of the Wednesday schedule, which would dismiss students approximately 40 minutes earlier than it would on a normal day.

However, the removal of the special bell schedule was not because of the elimination of division.

“Due to the busing changes made for our Academic Center students, we had to switch [the schedule] because we could not release [students] early anymore,” Hanly said.

Division itself was removed because buses could no longer show up at 2:30 p.m. for LTAC students. The new weekly schedule has not only taken away the special division schedule, but has also affected several other programs, such as the STARS and ACES mentor program and LBTV.

In past years, STARS and ACES mentors would visit their freshman and 7th grade mentees during certain division days to answer questions or offer advice, allowing them to become more comfortable with their new surroundings.

This year mentors will have to take a different approach in helping their freshman friends.

“The new division schedule is taking a huge toll on the mentor program,” said Kevin Arce, Div.651, one of STARS’ supervisors, “This may actually be the turning in the mentor program where we become less of classroom buddies and try and be actual mentors.”

Mentors will go to their respective division whenever there are special bell schedules or reasons for division. Some believe that that will not be of help to freshmen and 7th grade mentees, but the mentor program is learning to adapt to the new obstacle it faces.

“The mentor program may evolve into something where [mentors] meet with their freshmen outside of class. Whether it’s at lunch or after school to help them further themselves and feel comfortable,” Arce said.

Lane’s weekly production of LBTV (Local Broadcasting Television) was also one of the many highlights of the previous division schedule. The class/production team previously broadcasted a new episode every Wednesday, but LBTV and its staff are now adjusting to the new schedule, and new videos will now be aired online every Friday at ltlbtv.com.

One of the main concerns students have had about the new division schedule is in regards to how students will be able to receive important information or forms that would typically be passed out in division. This year, forms and information will no longer be passed out during division.

“All of our communication will be through CPS email or, if it’s written, it will be sent through first period teachers,” Hanly said.

No more looking forward to Wednesday because of the shortened periods and early dismissal. No more seeing your division every week and watching LBTV together and catching up with friends. No more 20-minute periods between second and third in order to finish some homework, study or sleep. Goodbye four years of traditional division, and hello to Lane’s new future of non-shortened Wednesdays and division only once a month.