Winter Gallery draws attention to student art

By Colin Boyle, Photo Editor

Students storming through security pass by it every morning, most likely not recognizing its existence. The door to Room 147 tends to be closed and the lights are off inside.

With no indication of what is inside, it appears to be just another renovated place in Lane amongst the madhouse of construction.

But behind that door is a spacious room with walls covered in artwork of varying mediums: large photographs, drawings, paintings, sculptures, fabrics, and even a TV screen displaying the works of Film Studies students.

According to Lane’s website, Gallery 2501 organizes and puts on multiple art shows a year, featuring the work of Lane Tech students and faculty.

Gallery 2501 has hosted seven exhibits since its opening in September 2015. The gallery this year opened up with the “Alumni and Faculty Show” in September 2016.

The second show opened in late October, displaying student work, including some relating to Día de los Muertos.

First opened on Jan. 20, the Winter Art Gallery’s focus was to try and get something from all of the art classes, Faletto said.

“It was nice to have so many different classes represented in this one,” Faletto said.

Students from various art classes were offered the opportunity to submit selected works to their teachers, and hope that one of them got in, according to Claire Cadrot, Div. 767.

Cadrot, an AP Art student, enjoys the gallery at Lane.

“I love seeing the different kids’ works in different levels and mediums––there’s some stuff that I didn’t think to use that people use.”

CBP_4641 smaller
Gallery 2501 showcases the artistic works, ranging from photographs to sculptures, created by students.

In “Something Fishy,” Cadrot intertwines human facial expressions in a watercolor painting of a fish, details that would go unnoticed at first.

“I really love nature and I just wanted to show the relationship between humans and nature,” Cadrot said. “I want people to think that the paintings are weird and dreamy but also kinda have a calming feeling.”

Like Cadrot, many other students had their artwork, fabrics, films, etc. on display, each to instill multiple emotions in their viewers.

It is not just the student-artists who enjoy the gallery at Lane.

Michael Matti, Div. 667, loves to see the hard work these artists have put in on display. As an art major for three years, Matti was one of the students who came after school on Opening Day to view the gallery.

When Faletto was asked if she thinks enough students know about the gallery, her reply was simply “no” before elaborating. Currently, the gallery is typically only available on the day that the particular exhibit opened, so it receives few visitors.

The main concern of having the gallery open more is the safety of the works.

We tried to coordinate with volunteers last year, but it was difficult and inconsistent,” Faletto said.

However, changes in the future might include having civics students assigned to the space during lunch periods according to Faletto. This would provide students at Lane more opportunity to see their peers work, as the gallery does not receive enough attention in Matti’s eyes, who did not hear anything about the gallery up until the day of.