D’Yontae Luster pauses for a breath during important free throws. (Colin Boyle)
D’Yontae Luster pauses for a breath during important free throws.

Colin Boyle

Even families fight

Recently, five players on the basketball team have left, either quitting on their own or being dismissed from the team. Many of the players have moved on to pursue other interests, while the underclassmen are stepping up and filling in the holes left by the departed players. Even though players are gone, many still support the other players, such as attending practices and games.

February 12, 2016

Family. The word written across their backs keeping them together through practices, wins and losses. But what happens when a family cannot get along?

Big changes have come across the roster of the boys basketball team as five players have left the team. Coach Logalbo confirmed that these changes are a result of players quitting and being dismissed from the team.

“It was simple. Players made a few decisions that went against our code of conduct and a few players would rather spend their time doing other things,” Logalbo said. “It’s a huge commitment and one of the longest seasons. Some people choose to do other things.”

Three seniors decided to quit the team after realizing that basketball was no longer what they wanted to spend their year doing.

Along with stressing the importance of a family bond, the coaches are hoping to bring a new maturity and responsibilities out in the boys.

“We try to encourage these boys to act like men and part of that is owning up to your choices,” LoGalbo said.

This practice is made evident as a now-ineligible player still plays an important role on the team and continues his presence in the gym.

“He comes to every practice and is at every game. He is showing leadership and being an example,” Logalbo said.

Replacing five players is not easy, but the team is keeping their focus on what is ahead.

“I wish they would’ve finished the season and kept playing with us. It hurts but at the same time we still have the rest of the season to play so you have to move on,” Zach Krysztopik, Div. 878, said.

Zach Krysztopik looks to score against Lake View.
Colin Boyle

Logalbo and the team have been working on adjusting their style of play and looking for new leaders as the team evolves.

“We are just accepting and adjusting. We pulled up a few guys and we’re tweaking what we’re doing defensively and being more conscientious offensively,” Logalbo said.

The team has not only lost the court presence of a captain, but the experience of four seniors. As a result, they are turning to younger players to become leaders and to ensure future success.

“I look them quitting as a time for me to start trying to lead the team,” Krysztopik said.

As the New Year opened, a debut for the new team came in a game against Von Steuben. For the first time, the players from both the JV and Freshman team that were pulled up, played in a Varsity game.

“We won against Von Steuben, at home, which was a good experience for the younger boys and we keep us moving forward,” Logalbo said.

By filling in the holes in the team, the underclassmen expect to play a larger role in the concluding of the season.

“The team lost a few guys we expected to be leaders, but we brought up players and the guys have really stepped up big for us,” Krysztopik said.

Change is prevalent amongst the team and those involved, but everyone is working to find the best of the situation heading into the postseason.

“The thing is at the end of the day, these boys have a lifetime relationship,” Logalbo said. “Whether or not if they’re playing, they’re still teammates and close.”

Donate to The Lane Tech Champion
$390
$837
Contributed
Our Goal

Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs, which are no longer covered by our district/school. If we do not meet our goal, we may lose this website and its archive of stories covering 2009-2023. Student journalists at Lane Tech use this archive to research past coverage of various topics and link to past stories to offer readers additional context for current stories. Thank you for supporting the award-winning reporting and writing of journalism students at Lane Tech College Prep!

Background information on why the school district no longer allows our school to cover web hosting costs:
https://lanetechchampion.org/12583/uncategorized/special-coverage-impact-of-soppa-on-cps-students-teachers/
https://lanetechchampion.org/11702/opinion/staff-editorial-cpss-soppa-policy-is-choking-students-learning-and-the-champion/

Donate to The Lane Tech Champion
$390
$837
Contributed
Our Goal