Students: Big School or Small School?

By Margo Chalustowska

For Lane, a school of 4,000, the big school atmosphere is ever-present. The large population of big schools provides many possibilities to students. For smaller schools, the feeling of a tighter-knit community may be more attractive to potential students. Size is an important factor in the quest for choosing a college. For some, size can even be a deciding factor; but how does size actually affect student experience? Every school differs, and invaluable experiences happen no matter what school you attend.

Lane students who graduated from elementary schools with small graduating classes have a double-perspective on the debated issue of which is better for the individual: small school or big school? Claire Cadrot, Div. 767, graduated from an elementary school with a class of twelve.

Despite her liking of Lane’s diversity and various art programs, she still prefers small schools.

“Lane is everything that I hoped it would be with the teachers and amazing classes available, but, to be honest, it is a little too big for me,” Cadrot said. “At Lane you meet so many people that sometimes it’s hard to find the few that you click with. It’s much more work than a smaller school for sure. Overall I guess prefer smaller schools. I’d take 1,500 kids over 15,000 any day.”

However, she also acknowledged the positives of a big school experience.

“Big schools are great too because at Lane I’ve met so many people and have had so many new experiences because of that. It helps you build communication skills because you’re always meeting and talking to people.”

Sofia Newgren, Div. 984, who came from an elementary school with a graduating class of thirteen, prefers bigger schools.

I definitely prefer a larger school community, because there are so many different groups, clubs, and sports to have as options. At my old school you had to deal with the few people with you all the time, but I can now choose who I want to surround myself with.”

She also acknowledged the positive one-on-one experience with teachers she had at her old school, which many believe is only exclusive to small schools. Having experienced a school as big as Lane, Sofia sees herself attending a large university with an “atmosphere like Lane’s.”

The modern day shift to larger-sized schools has caused psychologists to debate the issue of what size school environment is more effective in a student’s education. Many psychologists claim small schools provide the opportunity for more responsibility and involvement within the school. On the other hand, big schools give students a more diverse variety of behavior settings and scenarios.

Small schools often encourage student involvement, while big schools encourage student competition for involvement, according to Stanford University psychologists Roger Barker and Paul Gump.

These contrasts and transitions from preschool to elementary school to high school to college offer a new viewpoint with every grade level that passes. Distinctions between school sizes can help students consider what is most beneficial to them concerning the environment where their education develops.