The making of an Art Show

By Eunice Alpasan

The process of what occurs behind the scenes of an art show can be just as admirable as the artwork itself.

Producing art shows throughout the year for a school as big as Lane can be a tough but exciting task. In light of the recent fall art show, this task could not have been accomplished without the help of Curators Club and the students who brought their art forward.

Curators Club president, Mia Mendez, Div. 761, said being part of such a production can be very rewarding in terms of bringing exposure to the art created by students, and even teachers, all over the school.

“It’s a great way to showcase artists and I feel like a lot of kids at school probably don’t get enough recognition for how talented they are,” she said.

Curators Club sponsor, Ms. Faletto, expressed the importance of having an actual gallery to display the artwork created by students.

“We have all these different classes and we have all these talented students,” she said. “It’s a very professional environment for somebody to see their work.”

Once the club receives the pieces submitted by students, they bring everything down to the gallery where they decide what they want to include and how it should be arranged in the room.

They initially separate the pieces by paintings, sketches, photographs, graphic design and sculptures, Mendez explained.

“We just group things together based on that and then we kind of arrange the pieces in a way that they complement each other,” she said.

The strenuous part comes when they hang the artwork on the walls. This involves a hammer, some nails and a considerable amount of time, Mendez said. Arranging the artwork can be quite tedious, but she also finds it to be very enjoyable and relaxing.

The day of the art show opening is when they are able to see their work and preparations come together.

“I think that it’s cool to see how many people show up to the openings,” Ms. Faletto said. “It’s exciting for me but I think that it’s more exciting for the students to see other people from the building noticing their work and talking about it.”

For Anahi Hernandez, Div. 957, photography became an important part of her life in recent years.

I firmly believe in, ‘A picture says more than a thousand words,’” she said. “Oftentimes, it’s hard to speak on a certain topic or subject, but capturing the moment could explain everything.”

Hernandez’s piece that was showcased features street homelessness.

“The message I’m trying to convey is how hard it can be for people to survive and make a living, having to sit on the street for hours hoping someone is generous enough to help you out.”

Lesly Jimenez, Div. 880, said her textile fiber art piece took about two weeks to complete, requiring a great deal of patience and dedication.

Her piece, “Show Don’t Hide,” focuses on a chameleon. She said it alludes to how teenagers sometimes hide their emotions and stay quiet due to fears of being misunderstood.

She hopes that students are able to relate to its meaning.

“People should be able to stand up for what they believe is right, and what will make them have a happier lifestyle,” she said.

Ms. Faletto said that since the school is so large, many students do not get the chance to see the art made by other students. By having art show openings, they are given the opportunity to see these creations.   

Lane’s first art show of the year was Oct. 27 from 3:15-4:30 p.m., in Gallery 2501 (Room 147).