Unplugged 2016: ‘You are not alone’

Grace Bog

Keauna Pierce singing “Work In Progress” by Jason Mraz

By Alexa Soto, Reporter

No matter how you felt during this year’s Unplugged on Nov. 9 — the day after the election — Keauna Pierce wants you to know that you are not alone.  

Pierce opened the show by having the crowd lift up their arms and lay their hands on the person next to them, causing the audience to look at one another — at people they might not even know — as she reminded us that we all have Lane in common.

“My dad told me I should change my opening since I was the first one up, and I should lift up their spirits,” said Pierce, Div. 777. “That’s why I had them raise their hands, and realize they are not alone in what they are dealing with,” referring to the fear and sadness many people felt after the news of Trump’s victory.

Following Pierce’s performance of “Work in progress” by Jason Mraz, Jordan Egger, Div. 852, went on stage. Egger hosted the event, making witty jokes and dancing on stage along the way,

“I only knew I was going to be hosting the day before, so I didn’t really have much time to prepare,” Egger said. “I was really nervous because I was afraid of not being able to connect to the audience, but once I got out on stage everything just seemed to click, and it really felt like I was talking to 300 friends. I loved it. If I made one person laugh, then it was worth it.”

Mustiquirr Muhammad and the choir were introduced, then performed “Ultralight Beam” by Kanye West.

“I thought it’d be cool to have the gospel choir sing this song with me, especially because today’s time and the election results,” Muhammad, Div. 870, said. “I think ‘Ultralight Beam’ is about uplifting spirits and being happy and that everything will be OK. I think we all needed that vibe.”       

The show continued with crowd favorites like Viva La Vi’s performance of “I Hate You, I Love You” by Gnash, a song everyone in the crowd seemed to know.

Senior Allaine Stephens performed a medley of songs, including “Diamond Dancing” by Drake ft. Future and “Try Me” by Dej Loaf. Stephens had planned a completely different mash up but switched it up last minute because she wanted a “banger” that people would enjoy and love much more.

Another crowd favorite was the a capella performance of “If I Ever Fell in Love” sung by Samantha Tennant, Kasia Baranek, Elsie Wagner, Ian Smith, Jake Swinford, Makeda Duncan and Bella Miller.

“We really connected with each other,” said Tennant, Div. 753. “During the performance, we’d make eye contact and just check in with each other to make sure we are all good and on the same page.”

The crowd seemed to really enjoy the performance and couldn’t stop themselves from cheering and clapping along.

Later on in the show William Baranda, Div. 057, walked onto stage and performed “Diana” by Paul Anka, showing off his impressive guitar skills.

William Baranda performing “Diana” by Paul Anka
Grace Bog

“It is a technique [referring to the hand movements he did on the guitar] that my father had taught me. It’s a form of flamenco strumming, which I believe he [Baranda’s father] created,” Baranda said. “The strumming shifts from the body of the guitar and goes all the way to the neck, all while still producing a silky sound.”

Baranda believes this technique has no official name, but he and his father call it “The Walking Flamenco.”

The crowd was very responsive throughout the show, especially during Treble and Clef’s (Nicky Quintana and Jellyxa Rogel) performance of “If I’m James Dean, Then You’re Audrey Hepburn” by Sleeping With Sirens. The crowd turned on their flashlights and swayed in their seats.

Towards the end of the show, Egger got off the stage and had the crowd do a “Mannequin Challenge,” and a few students leaped from their seats to strike a pose.  

Prue Martin got loud cheers when she started her first performance of the evening with “Falling” by Alicia Keys. Martin later performed “Remembering Sunday” by All Time Low with Rachel Schnoebelen to close the show.

Throughout Unplugged, music teachers such as Mr. Flygt played instruments but never went into the spotlight. Typically music teachers perform, but this year they wanted to give more students the chance to showcase their talent — 90 students auditioned, according to Mr. O’Brien, a band teacher.

O’Brien, who came up with the idea of Unplugged and got Dr. Dignam’s approval four years ago, said he felt that this year was one of the best ones.                                                 

“There’s a lot of talented students at Lane,” O’Brien said. “I mean we have always had talented kids at Unplugged, it just seemed like everyone stepped their game up a little bit. I heard a lot of kids out there killing the songs they were doing. They sounded great.”