Finding their footing

By Tyreye Morris, Reporter

After a rough 2015-16 season where the team went 7-17, the Boys Basketball Team finished the Thanksgiving Tournament with a 2-2 record, good enough for 4th place in a 6-team field.

Lane started the tournament with a 48-47 win Nov. 21 against Mount Carmel. Then after beating Lake View Nov. 22 with a score of 62-51, they later lost their next two games, against Notre Dame 65-54 on Nov. 23, and Niles North 69-49 on Nov. 25.

During the final minutes of the game against Mount Carmel, Lane was down by 1 point in the last minute and 30 seconds of the game.

Senior Marques Barnes stepped up to the free throw line after being fouled. With time running low he converted both free throws to put Lane up by one.

After Barnes was able to convert the two free throws, the crowd and the Lane players were really excited.

“It was crazy, but we kept our emotions in check, and he knocked them down and the crowd went crazy,” Keyes said after the game.

Lane had eight seconds to go in the game and was able to successfully steal the ball in order to prevent Mount Carmel from making a shot.

After the game, Head Coach Nick Logalbo gave his thoughts on how his team was able to pull out the close win. Logalbo talked about how the feeling in the locker room was of excitement and satisfaction.

“Nothing could kill the atmosphere in the locker room,” Logalbo said.

The team earned a tough win Monday night despite not being able to rebound the ball and having many unforced turnovers.

Junior Calvin Keyes, Div. 877, started at power forward that night for the Indians.

“The feeling in the locker room was ecstatic — I was happy that the team came out with a win and started the season out on a good note,” Keyes said.

“Improvement is night and day. Guys put in a lot of work and with a young team the guys came out and prove their maturity and that they believe in each other,” Logalbo said.

Keyes said the team’s win shows how versatile they can be.

Even with the success, Keyes added, “We need to communicate better and get back on defense quicker.”

With Lane losing their last two games in the tournament, hopes aren’t lost as they look forward to their first game of the regular season at Mather High School on Wednesday, Nov. 30 at 5 p.m.