Hot start leads boys basketball to first conference win of the season over Perspectives-MSA

Jason Coulombe

Lane’s Parker Williams readies to drive to the basket. Williams finished with a career-high 18 points in Lane’s win over Perspectives-MSA.

By Meghan Mansfield, Assistant Editor

After Prosser’s tie-breaking buzzer beater in Lane’s last conference game, Lane Boys Basketball entered their second conference game of the year looking to rebound strongly.

But in their way was Perspectives/IIT Math and Science Academy, who not only was looking for their first conference win of the season, but was also looking for their first red-conference win in school history 

In a game between two schools with identical records heading in, Lane put together their best first half of the season thus far en route to a 67-52 victory.

The game tip-offed with with a quick layup by sophomore Dalton Scantlebury, but Perspectives was not far behind to catch up with a three-pointer, keeping a short lasting lead. After a steal by junior Shaheed Solebo, Lane was put back in the lead with a score of 4-3.

Lane kept up their defense, not allowing Perspectives to score again until the last three minutes of the first quarter. 

With a fast break and dunk, Scantlebury capped off the first quarter leading in points for Lane. 

“Coming off that tough loss [vs. Prosser] I think we all had a chip on our shoulder. We lost to a team we knew we could have beat and that really stung for us so coming into that game we were all out for blood,” Scantlebury said after the win.

Starting off the second quarter, Perspectives became more bold with their offense, taking many shots outside the three-point line, but with little success, Lane held their lead.

“They were excited about the right things, we had a game plan tonight and we were executing it to a high level,” Lane Head Coach Nicholas Logalbo said postgame. “It’s a young season, we’ve been kind of up and down, so it’s good to celebrate those excitements.”

Throughout the second quarter junior Parker Williams took off and that energy carried into the second half of the game. 

Perspectives brought out their best offense of the game in the third quarter, scoring ten points, yet they could still not match Lane. Three-pointers by Scantlebury and junior Jackson Labkon, and eight points from Williams put the score at 50-25 leading into the last quarter of the game. 

“I think it was a really good comeback game for us. Last game we played against Prosser, we didn’t play very well, we didn’t come out with energy. This game we turned things around, we came out in a really good run in the first quarter, and that set the tone for the rest of the game,” Williams said postgame. 

Even with their doubled lead, Lane stayed persistent on defense for the beginning of the fourth quarter. Steals were made by sophomore Andrew Bartolai, junior Kaden Buford and senior Giuliano DiFranco.

As the quarter progressed, Perspectives began to close the gap in points, and the game ended with a score of 67-52, making this Lane’s first conference win of the season. 

“Every conference game matters tremendously, it backs our city and state seedings for playoffs, so every game matters. And I felt like we were locked in start to finish and we took care of it,” Logalbo said postgame. 

Lane fell the next day to #25 Lemont 60-51. The Champions will look to get back on track during their third conference game today, Dec. 14, against  Farragut at 6 p.m.