Comiskey uses music to inspire

Comiskey+poses+for+a+picture+during+an+A+Capella+meeting+after+school.+

Comiskey poses for a picture during an A Capella meeting after school.

By Nicole Sharp

Hidden on the fourth floor of Lane, in room 436 resides Mr. Comiskey. He is a General Music teacher hoping to bring his knowledge of music and unique experiences to his students.

Comiskey’s first experience with music was violin lessons when he was four. At age 13 he experimented playing the guitar, with his father and a Beatles’ songbook as his teachers. Comiskey found his new identity from playing the songs of other musicians and creating his own songs.

“When I was 17, I released my own self-recorded album and became universally known as the ‘dude who played music’, so to speak, in high school,” he said.

Inspired by individuals such as his music director in high school and his grandmother, Comiskey began to find a connection to music. They have motivated him to expand on his understanding of music and teach his knowledge to his students.

“How has it not influenced my life… It’s largely how I define and conceptualize myself,” he said.

He explained that music has enabled him to better understand himself and others. Music has exposed him to new countries and cultures. He has traveled to Ghana, studied music of cultures within the country, and also opened new genres.

In only two years of teaching at Lane, Comiskey has already become involved in a number of clubs and the music department. He contributes by aiding Stage Krew, assisting with audio/visual (AV), directing A Capella Group (a club at Lane), and helping Tri-M Musical Honors Society.

Comiskey is able to influence students, collaborate with groups, but also publish his own songs.

“I’m excited to release my third album, my first since 2009,” said Comiskey.

The album is still untitled, but is a blend of R&B sub-genres, but also new types of music. Listeners may find it to be similar to that of Jason Mraz and Frank Ocean.

He explains this break in his music has come from time spent balancing his choirs, his bands, his own education and most importantly his students.

“It’s a balancing act, especially when my first priority is always to have great lessons for my students,”  Comiskey said.

Comiskey uses his experience and knowledge in his classroom to inspire his students, just as he was.

“He’s not just a teacher who teaches from a book, he teaches from hands on life experiences…Being one of the newer teachers can be hard but he makes it seem easy because he knows how to relate to us,” Kayla Garcia, Div. 662, said. “We go to the Auditorium and he shows us the basics and let’s us try out new things. It’s a nice break from sitting in a desk.”