Students participate in Christmas charities

By Kalyn Story

Many students say they take what they have for granted. Christmas has been known as a time to give back and ap- preciate what you already have. Several organizations exist to aid people around the world and here in America.

Samaritan’s Purse is an international relief organization that has helped mil- lions of people around the world. One of their biggest annual projects is called Operation Christmas Child.

To participate in Operation Christ- mas Child, they ask people to send in a shoebox filled with gifts for a child. Before mailing in your shoebox you can print out a form on their website where you can check “boy” or “girl” and the age group your box will go to. The box is then shipped to a country in one of six continents. In addition to the items in the shoeboxes, Samaritan’s Purse pro- vides the children who receive the boxes with free schooling also funded by do- nations.

Megan Coleman, Div. 655, has been donating to Operation Christmas Child every year for as long as she can remem- ber. This year she and her mother do- nated a box for a girl aged 2-5. Coleman filled her box with socks, soap, tooth-

Toys pile high in the guitar room as donations pour in. All gifts will be sent to CPS students by Christmas morning.

brushes, dolls, pens and pencils, note- books, a small Bible, and a note from her and her mom.

“I love Operation Christmas Child be- cause it is a really easy thing I can do that I know helps people in need,” Cole- man said. “It’s not expensive and doesn’t take too much time, so even if I’m really busy I know I can always make time for it.”

Coleman and her family heard about Operation Christmas Child through her church. All year long, she looks for- ward to packing her box and sending it. Coleman enjoys helping others and vol- unteers year-round, but she thinks Op- eration Christmas Child is like no other charity work she has ever done.

“These children don’t get anything else for Christmas,” Coleman said. “I am extremely blessed and I have always had more than enough presents to open on Christmas. I love being able to give them something I take for granted.”

For several years, Lane has contrib- uted to the Letters to Santa charity. Parents who cannot afford to get their children Christmas presents send in the letters their children write to Santa. The organization then sends the letters out to places that have asked to take part in the charity, Lane being one of them. At

Lane, students can pick up a letter and then are responsible for getting the child a present from their list.

Coach Roof encourages every mem- ber of the Cross Country teams and Boys Track and Field team to donate. This year he sent them an email say- ing, “Once again we are helping provide children in need with a holiday wish by answering their ‘Letter to Santa’…With- out you, this CPS child might not oth- erwise receive a gift this year!”

Allison Zanders, Div. 555, has taken a letter every year she’s been at Lane. Last year she got a letter from a little boy who asked for a variety of toy cars. Zanders was so eager to get him pres- ents, she went a little over the spending limit of $25.

“I love the feeling I get knowing that somewhere, I’m making a child happy,” Zanders said.

Like Coleman, Zanders has always felt blessed and has never worried about not having presents to open on Christ- mas. She is glad she has been given the opportunity to give back and help others. Zanders has had a job for most of her high school career and is happy to spend some of the money she earns making other people happy, especially around Christmas.