Local School Council to select new principal by June

By Nicole Sharp

Lane has undergone a year of change, from painting of walls and restructure of classrooms to now the search for a new principal.

The school will again transition as students, teachers, and parents alike wait for the announcement of a new principal. Though new principals are sometimes promoted from within, qualified applicant  throughout the country are eligible.

The Local School Council (LSC) consists of 13 members including parents, teachers, community members, a student representative, and Dr. Dignam. This body is responsible for the creating and publishing of an advertisement for the vacant position.

All applicants and their qualifications are then processed by the Board of Education to eliminate those who are unqualified. A list of approved applicants is presented to the LSC, which then makes a selection based on a majority vote.

In order to be considered qualified to attain the position of principal, it is required that the applicant have proper certification, live within the city at the time of their acceptance to the position, show evidence of exceptional professionalism, and also pass screening requirements according CPS guidelines.

On Feb. 19, students received an email from Dr. Dignam stating his decision to leave Lane at the end of the 2014-15 school year. Along with this announcement, he reflected on the accomplishments achieved during his time as principal as a result of student and staff efforts alike.

“I am extremely proud of all the strides we have made together at Lane Tech and I am confident all these accomplishments will ensure Lane’s continued success for many years to come,” he wrote.

The advertisement for the job listing was approved at the principal selection meeting on March 26 and will run for a minimum of 10 days according to LSC Student Representative Isabel Trumbull, Div. 567. CPS then reviews all applicants to check their qualifications.

Final approval is made by Lane’s Local School Council, which also considers the opinions of students and teachers.

Students were given an opportunity on March 18 to voice their opinions in an open forum hosted by Trumbull.

At the forum, students expressed opinions and fears about taking away certain policies such as off campus lunch.

The LSC has until June to select Lane’s new principal. If a decision has not been made by June, an interim principal will be selected by the district.

Although it is unknown what the new school year will bring, Dignam intends to leave Lane on a strong note.

“I have great pride in all I have experienced as a Lane alumnus, teacher, assistant principal, and principal. I am looking forward to completing this school year with each and every one of you and wish you all the very best in your endeavors,” Dignam wrote.