November LSC: Adventure Gym Renovations, Reshaping LTAC Athletics, Parking Lot Lights

By Tommy Kreutz, Copy Editor

Lane’s Local School Council (LSC) held a meeting on Nov. 17 to discuss resolutions, check approvals, and address several projects.

Highlights from the meeting:

• Buildings Operating Manager Rene Luis brought the rebuilding of the adventure gym to LSC’s attention. According to Principal Brian Tennison, Lane is not allowed to host basketball games in the Adventure Gym because of the rope course which would hang above the heads of the players. Luis believe that because of the rope course and the adventure wall, Lane is not taking advantage Gym 2’s benefits. “The project would bring use and revenue to an underutilized space,” Luis said.
  • School Clerk Jill Woods, who works in Lane’s Budget Office, motioned for a budget transfer of $150,000 to facility line for school maintenance, which would be put towards facility repairs, Gym 1’s broken scoreboard, and beginning renovations for the Adventure Gym.
  • The LSC commended the varsity Girls Swim Team for taking home their 6th city title in eight years and the sophomore team for winning 13 consecutive city titles.
  • During the public participation section of the meeting, Tennison announced that Lane has officially “opted in” to the reshaping of the LTAC athletic program. The topic was brought up by an audience member who is an LTAC mom. According to the LSC, “opting in” would include giving CPS autonomy of scheduling and staffing, taking LTAC sports from a private or intramural level to city-wide competition. Tennison provided that Lane could potentially lend space for some of the sporting events but more information will be released once it is provided to him.
  • Representatives from Friends of Lane discussed the annual Teacher-Staff Appreciation Luncheon that will take place Dec. 9. Friends of Lane said that the event is funded “completely by community donations.”
  • Friends of Lane also addressed their Annual Appeal Campaign that fundraised, as of Nov. 17, $42,755. According to the Friends of Lane website, the campaign “exists, in part, to fill budget gaps and fund initiatives that would otherwise go unfunded.”
  • To end their announcements, a Friends of Lane representative brought up the funding of street lights in Lane’s parking lot and the possibility of creating a committee of diverse members that could collaborate and help get the project on its feet.