Boys Lacrosse defeats Taft 14-1

Lane+Tech+and+Taft+High+School+shake+hands+after+a+hard+fought+game+by+both+teams.+

(Tommy Kreutz)

Lane Tech and Taft High School shake hands after a hard fought game by both teams.

By Tommy Kreutz, Web Editor

The Lane Tech Boys Lacrosse team defeated their conference rival Taft High School by a score of 14-1, led by senior Brian Tait’s seven goal night.

The game began with physicality from Lane, which resulted in four penalties; yet, the halftime buzzer sounded with Lane ahead 5-1.  

The game continued after the half with a more concentrated effort by Lane on offense, adding nine more goals. Lane’s Varsity Head Coach Ryan Shaw credited the win to his team’s added effort on defense — Lane only allowed Taft four shots on goal throughout the entire game.

“On the defensive end we did very well,” said Shaw. “Our goalies were seeing the ball, and, to single one guy out, Conor George, number 7, had a phenomenal game especially on the ground ball perspective.”

Shaw said that the early penalties his team found themselves receiving were partly bad luck but mostly a balance of physicality and discipline.

“We are a physically imposing team,” Shaw said. “The challenge is to learn to play to the edge of the rule and then control yourself.”

After three years of seeing his team either losing in the finals or semifinals of their conference tournament, Shaw said it is important to win these types of mid-season conference games.

“We need to have a next guy up mentality,” Shaw said. “After three years of close calls in the conference tournament, we are ready to take that next step, and that next step always begins with winning the conference.”    

The top performers of tonight’s game were Brian Tait, attack, who scored 7 goals, Vincent Wilkinson and Roman Treuthart, midfielders, who each scored a pair.

Both teams play tomorrow, May 3: Lane Tech (5-3) goes away to face Lakes-Antioch High School and Taft (2-8) will head to Vernon Hills High School.