Trump revokes transgender bathroom rules

By Sam Schnoes

Though many don’t see eye to eye on the Trump administration, almost everyone can agree that Mr. Trump is taking a much different approach to presidency.

Most recently, Trump revoked a bathroom guidance that sparked controversy.

Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination based on sex. However, there is a guideline added by the Obama administration within Title IX that allows transgender people bathroom protection. Trump has revoked this guideline, which now puts transgender rights in question.

This regulation allowed individual schools to let transgender students use the bathrooms with which they identify. Without the regulation it will now be the state’s decision on determining bathroom laws.  Although Trump’s Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, originally opposed it, she reluctantly signed off on the regulation.

“This is an issue best solved at the state and local level,” DeVos said. “Schools, communities and families can find — and in many cases have found — solutions that protect all students.”

Since the removal of the regulation, some states have begun to pass anti-transgender bathroom bills. One of these states, Texas, has created their own bill; SB6, requires transgender people to use bathrooms that correspond with their birth sex.

Some states have already felt the effects of passing anti-LGBTQ laws. In North Carolina, the passing of HB2 caused the NBA to move their All-Star game and threatened to remove the state from consideration for championship events until 2022, unless the law is repealed. According to Forbes, the state has lost an estimated $630 million in business since the bill has been passed.

Mr. Hoof, staff sponsor for the Lane Tech Gay Straight Alliance club, said he believes that as a country, we are moving in the opposite direction.

“I definitely think that it’s sad that I think the country in general is moving backwards as far as equality and that’s obviously sad,” Hoof said. “I hope that as a school and a city and within our own communities we can work together to combat what is happening and realize we live in a bubble in Chicago.”   

Lauren Coley, Div. 874, said she believes that safe spaces are few and far between.

“I feel like in the world today, there aren’t many safe spaces for transgender people,” Coley said. “So the fact that Trump is repealing [the bathroom protections] that kind of takes away another safe space.” “I don’t even think it should be an issue that our transgender kids have to use a different bathroom just because some people feel uncomfortable.”

Elena Vogt, who is the Vice President of Chi Chapter, a transgender support group, agrees.

“It sends a bad message to transgender students [by] being supported by their US government,” she said. ”It’s a tough thing for a teenager in the best of circumstances but if you are a transgender teenager, it’s really hard to fit in and get support and it’s not what [the US government] is doing.”

CPS will continue to allow transgender students to use the bathroom that matches their gender identity, according to DNAinfo.

“CPS led the way among school districts on bathroom policies for transgender students and staff, and we have no intention of backing down no matter what President Trump does to discriminate against the LGBTQ community,” said CPS spokesperson Emily Bittner.

There was a rally in support of transgender rights in the Loop on March 3. According to WGN, many demonstrators felt fearful of the political climate. Some were concerned about the effect on public school policy towards transgender students, while others felt concerned for their safety.

For students who feel upset by Trump’s revocation, Lane counselors are always open to talk.

“If you don’t feel like you are getting the fair treatment you deserve, then please see a counselor,” Hoof said. “Talk to someone about it. Our goal is to make sure all students are treated equally and are safe.”