Valedictorian: Abhishek Joshi

Abhishek Joshi is the president of India Club, Alpha STEM council and the Senior Class, and is now Valedictorian. PHOTO COURTESY OF ABHISHEK JOSHI

By Frank Rodriguez, Editor-In-Chief

When Abhishek Joshi first arrived at Lane as a freshman, he was very shy. It wasn’t until he joined various activities that he was able to become more outgoing. Now as a graduating senior and the newly named Valedictorian, Joshi is proud of his personal growth.

“I came to Lane as a very timid, shy freshman,” Abhishek Joshi, Div. 954, said. “I didn’t really talk to people, but then I started to open up and join more activities and just interact with other people, and that really pushed me to step out of my comfort zone and allowed me to be where I am today.”

On top of a multitude of accomplishments and honors, Joshi has been selected as this year’s Valedictorian from a list of competitive candidates.

Joshi is president of the senior class and India Club, which he says has helped him find his place at Lane and expand himself.

“India has definitely changed my life for the better,” Joshi said. “My parents are immigrants, and when you come to a school as diverse as Lane, I feel like it’s important to have that small group of people that is the same culture as you so you kind of feel at home in a way.”

Joshi also is president of the Alpha STEM council, which is a group of students who oversee and manage the Alpha program at Lane in concurrence with program teachers and sponsors.

Alpha STEM coordinator Ms. Young said that in addition to being a strong student, Joshi also exemplifies a good work ethic and is always willing to help his classmates.

“He works hard, and he asks questions if he’s not understanding something,” Young said. “Even if someone else isn’t understanding something, he’s helping someone else out.”

Alyssa Matias, Div. 956, also cited Joshi’s motivation and drive in the classroom.

“He’s always motivated, and he’s always on top of his stuff, so he’s a good person to look at, especially when you’re not feeling motivated,” Matias said.

On top of being a strong student, Joshi’s friends and teachers also commented on how he is not only a good student but a good leader and role model as well.

“He’s a good, determined leader,” Young said. “He’ll listen, see what other people are doing, and then say, ‘Ok, this is what I think we need to do.’”

Outside of his academics, Joshi also volunteers at his temple. He said that volunteering helps him be a role model for children and improve himself.

“Volunteering at my temple allows me to spiritually advance,” Joshi said. “Just the fact that I volunteer allows me to strengthen moral duties, in a way.”

Joshi’s friends also said that he is a supportive friend and makes sure to maintain his social connections, even when he is swamped with a busy schedule.

Patrick Krol, Div. 980, said that Joshi consistently reaches out to keep his friendships going and support his peers.

“He really cares about everyone,” Krol said.

Matias echoed Krol’s message, saying that he is a great friend to have around no matter the situation.

“He’s very willing to give you advice, so he’s definitely someone you can always go if you have a problem or if you just want to rant about something,” Matias said. “And he’s very funny; his laugh is hilarious.”

Joshi’s friends agreed that he is a good choice for Valedictorian because of his activities, personality and academics.

“He represents the best of Lane,” Matias said.

Joshi will continue his academic career at the University of Wisconsin-Madison this fall and plans to one day work in the medical field.