Class of 2023: Here’s what you need to know

Patricia Zubek

Incoming freshmen in Div. 378 at freshman orientation on Sept. 19 with their high school STARS mentors.

By Maryann Ress and Monika Meyers

For most freshmen, entering high school is a time of uncertainty, but it can also be a great time to meet new people and learn new things about yourself. 

However, starting high school can feel scary without any guidance. Here are some tips that will help any incoming freshman ace their first year of high school.

1. Join clubs

Getting involved in extracurricular activities is a great way to meet new people and add to your resume. Club days, which is on Sept. 25 for LTAC and freshmen, is the perfect way to find out which clubs are best for you. Instead of aimlessly wandering around the lunchroom, look at the map ahead of time. This way, you will be able to find clubs that stand out to you and go to them directly. Remember to keep up with your clubs, as they can be the perfect way to make friends.

2. Introduce yourself to your counselor

Your counselor is one of the most important people you’ll meet at Lane. In addition to helping you with college planning and course decisions, they should be the first person to go to if you have any problems, questions or if you need support. Counselors oversee a vast number of students because of Lane’s size, so remember to introduce yourself to them early on so they can distinguish who you are from the other kids they counsel. This can make all the difference when it comes time for your counselor to write a college recommendation letter for you during senior year.

3. Find your passion and run with it

Lane offers a variety of electives. From aquaponics to creative writing, you can find a class that suits your interests or is a preview to what you want to study in college. In your freshman year, see what classes motivate you the most. Use this information while researching your future courses at the end of the year so you know what classes you want to take ahead of time before course selections.

4. Take advantage of everything the CCC has to offer 

The College and Career Center is located in Room l35, which is next to the lunchroom. It has plenty of resources to help in your day-to-day school life and in your college search. Don’t wait until senior year to take advantage of this room. Meet with college representatives and start making your college list. It won’t hurt to start preparing earlier and you will be more confident when it’s time to pick your future college. 

5. Make new friends

Remember to branch out your freshman year. Remember that everyone is probably just as nervous about making friends their freshman year as you are, so make sure not to let your fears overwhelm you. Take initiative and be the one to start the conversation and speak to whoever you meet in your classes or division. If you are worried about sitting alone at lunch on the first day, ask people in your division or earlier periods what lunch they have and see if they have the same lunch as you. If you can’t find anyone in your classes, find someone sitting alone and ask to sit with them. They most likely are just as nervous about sitting alone as you are!

6. Ask for help when you need it

To do well, it’s important to learn to ask for help when you need it. Be confident and don’t be afraid to email or talk to your teacher when you have a problem or question. Most teachers will be helpful and understanding of what you have to say, so don’t be afraid to say it. 

7. Stay motivated

Remember to stay focused and motivated, and don’t stress yourself out too much with homework and overscheduling. You can do that by studying in a quiet place, taking breaks and getting rid of distractions. Running out of motivation will make it impossible to keep working and you will begin to procrastinate. Set goals for yourself so you will keep moving forward in your studies.

8. Be confident and have fun!

The upperclassmen might seem intimidating when you see them confidently walking the hallways, but remember that they were once just as scared as you are! It is perfectly normal to be nervous when you start freshman year, but try not to let the fear overcome you. Make sure not to overwhelm yourself socially or academically; take things at your own pace and don’t do anything that makes you too nervous. At the same time, it is important to get out of your comfort zone. Do new things and meet new people. High school can seem intimidating, but as long as you take it one day at a time it should be easy for you to find a second home within Lane.

Welcome to Lane, Class of 2023. Remember to make use of these tips and have a great first year!