Dating in the Digital Age

How Technology has changed high school relationships

Casey Bridge

More stories from Casey Bridge

For as long as there have been hormonal teenagers, there have been high school relationships. Many go into high school with the hopes that every romantic movie they’ve ever seen will become a reality as they lock eyes with a cute boy or girl from across the lunchroom. Although the standard mix of nervousness and attraction has always existed in these high school relationships, a lot has changed.

There aren’t just boyfriends and girlfriends anymore. There are now what seems like a million different stages of a relationship that sometimes may feel like an interview process. You may not simply be “dating” a person, but instead you can be “talking” or “just hanging out.” These are ways to name a relationship without actually committing. This is so common that actually wanting to make an official commitment to someone and date them has become a big deal.

Of course, this is due to the digital age. It is easier than ever to communicate with your “bae,” with text, snapchat, facetime, and the increasingly outdated phone call. Finding a companion has become more than working up the nerve to ask them out, and is now stalking someone’s tweets, liking all their IG pictures, and then “sliding into the DMs.” (Direct Message for all those who are unfamiliar.) Going out to dinner and a movie has regressed into “Netflix and chill,” and posting someone as your #wcw and #mcm has become a modern love note. Teenagers are always the most involved in social media, so it is no surprise that their relationships have followed suit.

It is almost impossible to be online and not come across Tumblr edits and Twitter pages dedicated to unrealistic “goals,” whether you’re in a relationship or not. This has led to unrealistic standards of how relationships should go, and ultimately leaves everyone unhappy. Feeling unsatisfied because your significant other didn’t tell you to check your front porch for a bouquet of roses is becoming the new norm. But is this for the right reasons? If you go on a nice date and don’t post a 90 second snapchat story of it, was it really that nice? Of course you’re going to be proud and happy to be with your significant other, but sometimes the genuine excitement is lost in the need to let everyone else know what you’re doing.

The connection and intimacy between a couple is becoming less and less personal, because relationships are not just shared between two people anymore. Now, relationships are between you, your partner, and your 300 twitter followers. This can often create unnecessary drama and tension between a couple.

High school relationships can be a great support system, where you find someone to love and care for you no matter what. This is not to say that all relationships are ruined by social media, but it certainly doesn’t help. It is important for teenagers to understand what is real and what is fake, as well as working hard to keep their genuine feeling alive. They shouldn’t be so easily ruined by the stigma of social media and all that comes with it.