CPS budget crisis causes students to talk and participate in activism

MARK CAPAPAS

Students join teachers in protest during the March 25 furlough day.

By Lizet Nava

Whether it is participating in rallies or even voting in the elections, the students of today have been more active in politics and activismMore and more teenagers are becoming interested in politics, and groups like CSU (Chicago Student Union) are growing in numbers.

With resources like social media and even a teacher’s guidance, students are more informed than ever as to where and how to take action. Just a few weeks ago, Lane students were able to register to vote at school, and teachers like Ms. Caracci, AP Government and US History teacher, were on staff to help students navigate the process. Students were welcome to come and sign up during their lunch periods.

Not only are students participating in voting, but some are taking action in political activism in their communities. Lane’s own Sabah Hussain, Div. 766, is a teen advisor for Girl Up, a member of Build On, an active organizer for the Chicago Student Union, and a promoter of student-led activism.

“Going to a CSU meeting was probably one of the best decisions I’ve made yet,” Hussain said. “The meeting introduced me to amazing people and also to upcoming events and actions which prompted me to get more and more involved in CSU. I caught their sense of interest and passion and in no time I was alongside CSU members, organizing rallies, walk-ins, and walk-outs.”

Another student activist, Maya Hernandez, Div. 766, became involved at a young age.

“My parents are really big activists so they’ve taught me to protest and fight for what I believe is right,” Hernandez said. “My dad used to take me to protests, one of them being the opposition to the Iraq War in 2003 when I was younger, which made me become interested in this.”

The CSU’s formation goes back to 2013 when it started as an effort to unite various student led organization like ‘Chicago Organizing to Save Our Schools’ (CSOSOS) and Voices Of Youth in Chicago Education (VOYCE), according to Progress Illinois.

In an interview with Progress Illinois, Ross Flynn, a member of CSOSOS and co-founder of the CSU said in regards to the formation of the CSU, “We have to come up with a new plan, and as any civil rights movement has shown us, when people come together they find strength in numbers.”

Online activism on social media plays a huge role for students striving for change. Posts on facebook allow other students to share ideas and events.

Facebook groups and pages make connecting to other student activists faster and easier than ever.

Hussain and Hernandez frequently share the latest news for student-led rallies on their facebook profiles.

“Having an online platform makes organizing events so much easier because we get to reach students from across the city who normally we wouldn’t be able to,” Hussain said. “However, as great as online activism is, it’s not the thing we need. It’s easy to be a keyboard warrior and not someone who actually is out on the streets, protesting for a better, more fair tomorrow.”

Overall, a great majority of students feel a great sense of fulfilment from contributing to student led activism groups.

“Our rights as students and residents of Chicago are being violated and we need to fight back,” Hussain said. “If we don’t stand up for ourselves, how can we expect anyone else to?”

If students continue working together as they are now, more changes can be expected. Student activists encourage students to take action when possible.

“Not only are you helping yourself to get a better education, but you’re helping future generations that won’t have to go through the same situations as we’re having to go through because we’re helping them get a better education for their futures as well,” Hernandez said.