A Guide to the Do’s and Don’ts of Summer Festivals

By Jessica Tredota, Reporter

The city is usually filled with the bustle of hard working business men and women. However, during certain weekends the city is taken over by the youth and their music.

Once music festivals strike Chicago, a new world is developed. Everything can either go right, or go horribly wrong.

Riina Dougherty, Div. 657, looks back at her many years of dealing with Chicago summer festivals, and in her own opinion, has become an amateur expert on how to have the best experience.

Dougherty has been attending festivals such as Lollapalooza since she was eleven years old. To this day she still attends Lollapalooza every summer, and has been to Pitchfork as well.

After many years of trial and error, Dougherty was able to formulate a way to have a great time.

When looking at what to bring with you to a summer festival there are some items you should avoid, like an expensive camera, jewelry, or other personal items.

“Don’t take anything expensive or valuable because the crowd or weather can be unpredictable. In the crowd I always see phones cracked in the mud,” Dougherty said.

Everyone tries to see all their favorite musicians when all the different bands and artists come. However, it is better to go with the flow, and not plan everything.

“Avoid really packing your day with bands,” Dougherty said. “Accept that festivals can be wild and your day might not go as expected.”

Dougherty encourages students to “always always bring a refillable water bottle” and “sneak in snacks because you’re gonna be hungry!”

Crowd cheering at the 2015 Lollapalooza in Argentina.
Reuse

Other Lane students have had their share of experiences dealing with summer festivals. Logan Williams, Div. 678, tries to go to two or three music festivals every summer.

Some ways Williams ensures having a good festival experience is by following his own guidelines of what to bring, and what to avoid.

“Don’t take knives. Also, don’t take large backpacks. You don’t want to be walking around all day carrying a bunch of stuff,” Williams said. “Chances are when you have a bag your friends will ask to put stuff in it. You basically become a walking dump truck.”

Safety is a big concern when going to a large festival where many people come to enjoy music. It is important to be mindful of the the festival’s surroundings because there will be people who will be under the influence of alcohol or other substances.

“Don’t take drinks from anyone,” Williams said.

It is also wise to learn festival etiquette so that everyone attending has the best experience, and nothing gets ruined by unintentional mistakes.

“Be careful with where you put your hands. People get really protective of everything at music festivals,” Williams said. “One time I was trying to leave a performance and accidentally brushed up against someone and they thought that I was trying to steal from their purse.”

Even though you do have to keep your guard up, festivals are great places to meet people who have similar music interests and bond with them.

“Don’t be afraid to talk to people. Generally speaking, everyone at music festivals are really nice and are there to have a good time just like you,” Williams said.

Skylar Caldwell, Div. 654, has been to Lollapalooza, Spring Awakening, and NorthCoast in past years. Over a couple of summers she has acquired some tips that can make the experience a lot more enjoyable, starting with the attire.

“I like shorts and a short-sleeves top,” Caldwell said. “Dresses and skirts are fine, but they fly up and that’s just a hassle. Closed-toed shoes are always good, because there are a lot of people and your feet will get stepped on. If you plan to go deep into the crowd don’t wear sandals because people jump around and make mosh pits.”

People come from all over the city to these festivals, and in some cases from different parts of the country. You cannot be certain with whom you might interact with at any point. Caldwell recommends not to take a lot of money with you, because if you get pickpocketed then you’re out of luck for the day. Also, try to avoid clearly risky people who may stir up trouble that may ruin the experience.

“Avoid people that are intoxicated,” Caldwell said. “Don’t buy anything from random people or friends of friends. It’s not safe and it could ruin your experience or your life.”

The main thing to remember when going to a music festival is to be smart about your choices. But above all, have fun! It is the summer of course, and there will be great music and people all around you.